www.TrueKnights.org Purity News Archive

Monday, February 25, 2008

Counseling. . . .

. . . . so I went to see a counselor today. It seems like something more I can do to further my work on this addiction. Everything was good and wonderful until about 5 minutes he I am told he is retiring in May. The good news he is willing to meet with me until then to do some work and get me on a road of continuing work. He is also introducing me to other resources available if my needs go beyond the time that we have together to work. It may require traveling to a small town 30 miles away from mine but I can do that. One of the options, a facillitated mens group therapy session would require me changing my days off from my precious weekends but I can do that. Those are issues that him and I have to work through.

For the time being I am going to order a workbook, Facing the Shadows by Patrick Carnes (SexHelp.com). It is a workbook that is for people in the beginning of recovery and it never hurts to start back at the beginning. The therapist was particularly interested in discussing the last several chapters of the book that deal with defining, maintaing and cultivating sobriety. Their are 2 more books in the series that are in the offing, one to come out this year and another next year. They continue working through 30 practical things to do to sustain true recovery. I was so glad to see some of the things I am doing mentioned in the plans for future volumes, but it will be good to work through them regardless.

The biggest thing I can think of that will help me is being able to step outside myself. Between now and May I just need to find someone to work these books with me.

I am grateful to be sober today.

God, grant me the serenity....
Under the Mercy,
MS

1 comment:

My name is Ken and I'm a sex addict. said...

I'll be interested to know how the workbook goes for your recovery work. I bought a copy when I first joined SAA... I bought every book I could find. But I haven't had a chance to work through it yet. I plan to, but I get so much work from current sponsor that I'm just waiting until I rework the steps.