www.TrueKnights.org Purity News Archive

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Practical Atheist

Many of the people that I know in the program are practicing members of their faith that will verbally express a faith in God. I do believe that they either really do believe or want to believe in God. However, and for a variety of reasons we act in a very practical matter as if God does not exist when it comes to lust.

It could be a lack of conviction, compartmentalization or a lack of faith. Whatever it is, its painful and the steps are part of the road back. We have to understand that we can't do it (I am not a God), since others have made it, something has to be able to do it (something is more powerful than me) and then we have to let them step in the door (surrender to the higher power).

At first part of me was bugged by the used of the phrase higher power instead of God, however, we have a few agnostics in our group and some people don't realize it but at times the group or something else has to be the higher power when they start, until they can really turn their life over to go, as they know HIm.

Under the Mercy,
MS

2 comments:

Dharma Kelleher said...

Well said. I personally find the term "Highest Self" helpful to me. I also use "God" or "Higher Power". Whatever name and concept work for a given person is good enough!

Thanks for sharing on this!

Peace,
Dharma

Kellee said...

I've always found it so strange that the 12 step groups go to such great lengths to say HP or God as we understood Him yet they (or mine anyway) end every single meeting with the Lord's prayer. Explain that one, please.

I personally do not censor myself in my groups. I am proud of my relationship with Christ & really don't care who knows it. I've worked too hard to get where I'm at on that front to "dumb it down" (in my opinion) in front of others.

~Kellee
http://crossingmybridge.blogspot.com/