www.TrueKnights.org Purity News Archive

Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Step Three


Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.


At times it seems that the journey to recovery requires what seems like superhuman abilities to me, the addict. Step three is a place to learn that we don't have to be superhuman to be in recovery from our addiction. Trying to be superhuman hasn't worked, we can't be in recovery and white knuckle it. Here we are asked to come as you are.

As love cripples not only do we not know how to love but we really don't know how to be loved. Here we are able to admit that we don't fully understand God. In truth, we hardly know him and we definitely don't feel loved by God. As an addict at times and it is very easy to feel this way, I feel very alone and unloved.

Here is were I extend what little I know of intimacy and make myself vulnerable to God. As a Catholic, that is confession and adoration of Jesus. I have to rend my garments, the defenses and secrecy of lust, and present myself naked before God. This is an act of surrender, coming to God as I am as I know Him. This is how I can begin to grow personally and in knowledge of Him who saves me and helps purify my defects.

Under the Mercy.

2 comments:

Bar L. said...

good post, step three is foundational, huh?

Anonymous said...

In some ways all of the steps are foundational. You have to start at the beginning but you can't really move on without doing the steps before adn of course when you get to 12 you have to start back over.

Step three is also where we beging to practice intimacy that can't be sexual, intimacy with God. I also believe that sexuality is supposed to be a sign pointing to God and so the relationship with God helps us recognize what sexuality is supposed to be as well.

Under the Mercy